Farm shop in a self-service concept
Products from the region for the region
- Topic area
- Basic services, Leader, municipalities
- Disaggregation level
- Value added
- Short supply chains
- Direct marketing
- Local amenities
- Project region
- Upper Austria
- Local Action Group (LAG)
- LAG Zukunft Linz-Land
- LE– Programming Period
- LE 14–20
- Project period
- 12.2020-11.2023 (geplantes Projektende)
- Project costs overall
- Subsidy from LE 14-20
- EN - 19.2.1. Umsetzung der lokalen Entwicklungsstrategie
- Project initiator
- Rudolf Hofmann
Short descriptionThe Hofmann family has been running a direct marketing shop on their farm for about 20 years. It all started with asparagus, which is only available for a limited time. However, the product range continuously increased by adding more of the family's own produce as well as products from other partners from the region. As the demand for regional products has increased, a farmer's self-service shop involving a personal sales person shall be realized.
Point of departureThe Hofmann family has been running a direct marketing shop on their farm for about 20 years. It all started with asparagus, which is only available for a limited time. By the time, the product range continuously increased.
On the one hand, the farm's own product range has been extended to include strawberries, rhubarb, salads, radishes and spelt products. On the other hand, the variety of products from regional partners has also greatly increased. Thanks to the high-quality and daily fresh products, a large group of customers has been established. The products' sale is favoured by the farm's ideal location.
Targets and target groupsThe aim is to create a self-service farm shop offering extended opening hours and involving a person responsible for personal sales. Since the personal contact and advice are very important, personally supervised sales hours are foreseen to be implemented throughout the year. This will help to stay in touch with customers, to strengthen the awareness for regional production and to approach customers who do not like the self-service concept too much.
- Flexible shopping - almost around the clock; From early in the morning to late in the evening and also on Sundays and public holidays.
- Bundled shopping of regional products at one location (one-stop shop)
- High-quality, farm-fresh and regional products
- Increased product variety through cooperation with other regional producers
- Letting customers experience farm life; Communicating agriculture
- Regular sales supported by staff, providing advice on special fresh products
- Low staff costs through the implementation of a self-service concept
- Fair prices for producers (no price pressure)
Project implementation and measures1. Establishment of the self-service shop
2. Equipment of the self-service shop
3. Marketing measures
4. Construction of a storage room
5. Construction of a refrigerated storage room